Northern Power & Light began when we converted our family facility into the region’s first community hydro project. The groundswell of support we experienced underscored a broader need for authentic choices in the renewable energy space. Check back here often to learn more about our growing list of partnering facilities.
The Sissonville hydro facility is located on the Racquette River in the village of Potsdam. Originally developed to grind pulp for the Racquette River Paper Company in the 1890s, the site has produced electricity since 1986. A single 3.1 MW generator produces enough power for approximately 1000 homes annually. The power plant is owned by Glens Falls-based Boralex Hydro Operations, Inc.
10,463 Metric Tons
Pictured: Boralex Hydro Operations Manager Erik Bergman, NP&L Founder Emmett Smith, and Facility Operator Gary McCormick
We are very excited to work with Northern Power & Light and be able to offer local electricity directly to local residents... As a graduate of Clarkson, I am personally pleased to reconnect to such a treasured place
-Erik Bergman, Operations Manager
The Sissonville facility maintains the water levels of the Racquette on the North side of the village of Potsdam.
Azure Mountain Power, more affectionately known as "AMP", is our family facility and the region’s first community hydro project. This site on the St Regis River was first dammed in the 1880s by the Brooklyn Cooperage, which made sugar barrels from local timber. Azure Mountain Power operates as a “run of river” site, maintaining river flow around the dam to protect stream ecology, including a downstream trout fishery.
1,767 Metric Tons
Pictured: Matt Foley & Everett Smith
A love for machinery, a connection to the land, and the belief that renewable energy is a valuable resource led Everett and Matt to build Azure Mountain Power in the early nineties. As Owner-Operators, they have worked to produce power and maintain the facility, including building a new log crib dam in 2014.
Azure Mountain Power produces electricity with two vertical shaft Leffel turbines and 2400-volt AC generators. This machinery was originally built in 1917 and installed at AMP in 1993.